So, it’s the wee morning hours of work… and you’re the only one actually there. Everyone else took the day off, while you, spent your vacation hours on that trip to California.
There is nothing for you to work on. (Literally). Your desk has been moved for office cleaning. You have eight hours to kill, but what to do? Here are a few suggestions:
1. Abuse the Post-it note privileges
Considering there are five billion just sitting around the office, you better use them. Create some wall art, hide notes all around the office or just cover someone’s desk. There is really no wrong way.
2. Build a Rube Goldberg machine
In an office setting, there are so many opportunities and useful items to create a helpful–or not so helpful, but really cool–contraption. If you need some inspiration, here’s 75 ideas to get you started:
3. Read EVERY ‘Top Ten’ list
Start with the topics that interest you and then find the really obscure lists, like:
– Top 10 Hubble Space Telescope Hot Shots
– Top 10 Most Edited Wikipedia Articles
– 10 Prehistoric Discoveries in 2014
4. Have a dance competition with yourself
Crank up that tune you can’t refuse and dance like no one is watching–because they aren’t.
5. Write a blog post about what to do when nobody’s in the office.